Friday, February 5, 2010

Could this be your student?

From class today:

Me:  If I take the time to write on the worksheet "Show the work for problems 3 and 4 on a seperate peice of paper", it is because I expect you to put the work for those on a seperate piece of paper.  In the future, if you don't, I won't grade it.  I'll take it to the office, shred it, and when you walk in, throw up in the air an shout "Look!  It's snowing!"

Student:  At least it's not a W.I.N.

The reality:

I expect students to show work for problems when they do their homework.  This work is essential for two things:
1)  To help them organize their thoughts and track their own understanding of the material.
2)  To help me review their work and identify weaknesses that we can together target for success.

I made a commitment in Septemeber to never assign more work then I felt was nessecary to arrive at mastery.  Every problem I assign, be it in classwork or homework, is targeted specificaly at skills students need to practice.  To that end I do expect students to complete every problem ~to the best of their abilty~.

So as I am collecting and reviewing all homework I will be looking at their work and I will not be grading incomplete papers. 

I will also not comment on students who attempt to turn in work totally unrelated to the assignment in an attempt to bamboozle me into thinking that they have actually done the assignment.  I do not believe comment is needed.

Hope you all have a great weekend.  Go Saints!

No comments:

Post a Comment